Helping students to make informed choices about their future is an important aspect of education at Ardingly College.
The aim of the Careers Department is to create opportunities for our students to experience life and work beyond school - to become World Ready. Part of this is by introducing them to diverse and exciting careers and opportunities and supporting their aspirations.
We host exciting and diverse events to cater for a range of interests and skills. These include our popular 'Raising the Profile of Languages Event,' ARTnetWORK, Careers in Maths and Finance and a Geography-related careers seminar. Old Ardinians, parents and other professionals come and speak to our pupils about their own careers, experiences and successes, engaging and inspiring pupils to ask questions as well as network on a more informal basis.
Other events and priorities include
- Annual Higher Education Fair
- Visits and talks from international Universities
- Life skills workshops – networking skills, presentation skills, Mock one-to-one interviews and multiple mini interviews for our Medical students
- One-off Careers Talks – Gap Years, How to become a Pilot, Careers in Fashion, to name a few
- A timetabled careers programme for Shell, Remove and Fifth Form students – including Cambridge Occupational Analysts Preview Career Guidance programme for Fifth form to help them decide post-GCSE options
- One-to-one career guidance sessions
- Work experience placement meetings – supporting proactive pupils in finding work experience opportunities and drafting their CVs. In 2016, 25 senior school pupils found valuable placements during the summer holidays, including in an architect's studio in London, a local Art Gallery, fashion boutique and in finance
- A dedicated careers website to facilitate individual research and provide ongoing advice: www.ardinglycareers.com
Additionally, the Head of Sixth Form organises a number of higher education-focused events and talks to support the students in their applications to universities in the UK and internationally.