Menu

School History

This section

“Beati Mundo Corde”      Blessed are the Pure in Heart

St. Saviour’s College was founded originally in Shoreham in 1858.  It was one of the three schools founded in that area of Sussex by the Revd. Nathaniel Woodard (1811-1891) who believed fervently in the importance of religion in education.

Most boys left the school at a comparatively early age, some after only one term.    By1880, over 3,500 boys had passed through the school.

Despite obvious change over the years, many of the old features still remain as part of our heritage.  

The Junior School did not become separate until 1911 when a Junior House was established in the current North School buildings with a separate Housemaster.

The Pre-Prep School is very much a newcomer on the Ardingly scene, opening in September 1993, in the Victorian Farmhouse, with its award-winning renovated and refurbished farm buildings on the edge of the campus.